Finally, the amazing team from KhmerOS has realeased the Khmer Spell Checker (KSC) for OpenOffice. Here is the instruction for installing KSC on Debian (Lenny) system.
- Download the package from: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=133361&package_id=244774
- Unzip it:
$ unzip Khmer_Spellchecker_v1.0.zip
- Change to that directory:
$ cd Khmer\ Spellchecker\ v1.0/
- Become the super user:
Password: (enter your root password)
- Copy two files: km_KH.aff km_KH.dic to OOo's dict directory:
# cp km_* /usr/lib/openoffice/share/dict/ooo
The above directory could be slighty different from one system to another.
- As a root, use your favorite text editor to edit `dictionary.lst' file, I'm using vim:
# vim /etc/openoffice/dictionary.lst
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and add: DICT km KH km_KH
DICT km KH km_KH
- Save the file (dictionary.lst)
You're almost done, so hang on there. We need to change some settings in OpenOffice program itself.
- Open OpenOffice.org Writer from the menu
- From the Tools men, select Options
- Click on the + sign infront of Langauge Settings to expand it, then click on "Languages"
- Under the "Enhanced language support" section, check the box "Enable for complex text layout (CTL)"
- Then from the CTL dropdown box, select "Khmer"
- Click, OK and you're done (Figure 1). Thanks to Soben for the tip.
Figure 1 - Enable Khmer spell checker in OpenOffice.org Writer
Figure 2 - Example of Khmer spell checker in action
Once again, a big applause and thank to the hard work of KhmerOS team, and Soben for the setting tip in OpenOffice.org Writer.
Back link: Need help installing Khmer spell checker