Pidgin – old version of libpurple and unknown protocol

Aaaahhh… I fixed the Pidgin problem with Unknow protocol just 5 minutes after the previous post was made. I’m going to write how I found out the problem and how it has been fixed. If you’re interested, keep reading.

In the previous post, I mentioned that I would removed the Pidgin package completely including its configuration file (# apt-get –purge remove pidgin.) I did and followed by re-installation of Pidgin, unfortunately, it didn’t fix anything.

Then I checked the About dialog (Help -> About), and I noticed the libpurple 2.5.4 under Pidgin 2.5.6. This must be the source of the problem! But I remember libpurple has been upgraded to 2.5.6 and it said so in Aptitude. So what could be possibly wrong?

Screenshot-About Pidgin

A while back, I have installed Pidgin from source code, however I was quite sure that it has been properly removed — I went into the Pidgin source and execute # make uninstall.Well, according to this Bug #385639, libpurple is still present in /usr/local/

kenno@san7:/usr/local/lib
$ ls
finch                      libpurple.so.0      pkgconfig  site_ruby
gnt                        libpurple.so.0.5.4  purple-2   xemacs
libpurple-client.so.0      perl                python2.4
libpurple-client.so.0.5.4  pidgin              python2.5
kenno@san7:/usr/local/lib

So, I need to remove these unwated libraries manually:

kenno@san7:/usr/local/lib
$ sudo rm libpurple*

Now, let’s run Pidgin again…and… that’s it. The problem has been fixed!
Screenshot-Add Account2

For the record, I have upgraded Pidgin to 2.5.8 (unstable package at the time of this post is written) and everything works as expected. Now, I’m back to a happy Pidgin user.

Pidgin – Protocol Unknown (FIXED)

Update: The problem has been fixed. Please see the above post.

A few weeks ago, Pidgin could not connect to Yahoo messenger server because Yahoo was changing its protocols. At the time, the Pidgin was at version 2.5.5. Then that Yahoo connection problem has been fixed in version 2.5.7 and newer of Pidgin.

Anyway, Pidgin is acting up again. This time I’m not sure what is going on, and it didn’t seem other people are experiecing the same problem – Protocol Unknown for all types of accounts.

Screenshot-Pidgin-Accounts

Suppose if I want to add a new account, nothing could be selected from the drop down list. Normally, you should be able to choose if you want to add Yahoo messenger or MSN protocols.

Screenshot-Pidgin-Add Account

I tried to remove Pidgin 2.5.8, re-install 2.5.6, it didn’t work. Then I tried to re-install 2.5.8 and the Unknow Protocol still presents. Next, I’m going to remove Pidgin (with its configuration) and hopefully I can use it again.

At the moment, I’m using Kopete 0.70.4 temporarily to connect to MSN messenger. However, it doesn’t seem to connect to Yahoo messenger either. But, I’m not going to investigate why or how to solve it.

If anyone knows how to fix this Pidgin unknown protocol problem, please share.

Pidgin 2.5.5 – cannot connect to Yahoo messenger

I just noticed the abnormality with Pidgin 2.5.5 (running on Debian) these few days — I couldn’t connect my Yahoo messenger account at all. According to the discussion of Bug #389278 it appears that Yahoo was trying to change its protocol.

A quick way to have Pidgin connecting to Yahoo messenger server again is to change the Pager server setting for the Yahoo account in Pidgin.

To do this, from Pidgin:

  • Manage Accounts (Ctrl + A)
  • Select the Yahoo account from the list (assuming you’ve set one up before), and click Modify
  • Click on Advanced tab, under the Yahoo Options, in the Pager server field replace scs.msg.yahoo.com with cn.scs.msg.yahoo.com

Try to connect to Yahoo messenger server again. It worked for me.

Credit: Bug #389278 in pidgin (Ubuntu)

Update:

Please cosider upgrade your Pidgin to version 2.5.7. I just upgraded mine and the problem seems to have gone away. Don’t forget to change the Page Server back to scs.msg.yahoo.com.